Sunday, March 22, 2009

Trekkin' for the Twins

For those who don't already know it...I have a FANTASTIC sister. Ok, ok...it's true, we fought like cats and dogs growing up. We are only 15 months apart and we have always been complete opposites in both looks and personality and we both drove each other bonkers....for reals- to the point of hair pulling, hitting, yelling and all other good girl/sister means of fighting. She even claims that I stole boyfriends...but I DIDN'T. Besides...he was my age, not hers. :)

Anyway- My fantastic sister is one of the most patient people that I have come to know and we are just now in the last few years becoming really good friends. It's just not a normal morning without her morning wake up call and chat. Let me tell you a little about my sis...she has 5 BEAUTIFUL children...2 that are biologically hers and 3 that are step sons that she loves and cares for as her own since they have full and sole custody.
Two of these cute boys of hers are twins. Isaac and Jackson are 7 years old and both have Autism...plus a few other "things" that I'll let you read about here. These two boys are the cutest and funniest kiddos. And no, I still can't tell them apart unless I ask them to smile (one can't/won't smile..he frowns), but I have still grown to love them. Because of this growing friendship with my sis. and her awesome kids I would like to support the Autism Awareness campaign. April is Autism awareness month so you will be seeing lots of autism posts and information about Autism and what each person can do to spread the word about Autism. I looked up a ton of sights to share a bit of info. with you and found SO MUCH information! So here is just one of the many of sights to read up on if you are curious to learn more about Autism. Chances are good that you know somebody that is either Autistic themselves or has a child or sibling that is autistic. So read up on it...become AWARE and learn what you can do to help.
Part of what I'm doing to help my little sis is i'm walking on her team for the annual "Walk Now for Autism" walk on May 2, 2009. PLEASE check out this site and donate what you can. The more funding we can raise the more research can be done to find out causes and cures for Autism, as well as important rescources for family and children affected by Autism. Seriously...families dealing with Autism need major resources for help and education and additional help resources for themselves and children so please help if you can! And if anybody wants to walk (children welcome) please let me know...we would love to have you join us on our team!

2 comments:

  1. I worked in a preschool for children with autism for 5 years and it was amazing. I LOVE these special children and the incredible people who are their parents. Thanks for spreading the word...we would love to join your team!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole...Yeah! Do you want to actually walk with us or just help raise the money? We would love to have you for both or either...just let me know. If you want anything to put on your blog I can forward a much better worded email my dad sent along this week. I'll talk with you later about this and the hats. :)

    ReplyDelete