Friday, March 27, 2009

Chickens in the Headlights


Ok...having the newly acquired chickens has gotten me thinking about my favorite book and I thought I would share it with you all.

The book is "Chicken in the Headlights" by Matt Buckley and it is hillarious! You really need to get it and read it yourself before reading it to your kids otherwise you'll struggle getting through it without the giggles.

I have found some reviews off of Amazon and I thought I would copy and paste them here showing you just how funny others thought it was...for reals...get this book and read it to your kiddos this summer!
"Okay, so maybe you love to read books but find your most recent selections a little dull. Read this book, and you will forever be warned against drinking warm milk, killing chickens and becoming a goatboy. Matthew Buckley and his six siblings have raised the childhood antics we all know and love to an unparalleled level. While his parents have somehow managed to stay sane amongst this chaos of brotherly love, the rest of us get to experience the insane laughter one only gets from sitting on the sidelines and not actually having to dodge an errant pillow, bits of jam, or chicken "gravy". Having written in his journal from a very young age, Buckley reaches back and picks out a summer where the "joy of the journey" encompasses a visit to Grandmas, several hilarious chicken roundups, and a time simply made better because it was shared with his brothers. "


"My sister and I both teach fourth grade, she in Nevada and I in Idaho. We tell each other about books our students have liked. She bought this book for me making me promise two things: I would read it myself before I read it to the kids so I would get over the giggles and be able to read it outloud . . . (sort of worked) and secondly, I *would* read it to my students. Now, I'm one of those old lady school teachers who has to connect every read aloud to the curriculum, but, hey, it was the last month of school and I was getting short on books to read, so I took her up on it. While reading this book to my class, my kids BEGGED me to "read more, read more." This wasn't the usual "Read more so we don't have to do Math right now." It was "Read more, please, please, please cuz we can't wait to hear the next crazy thing the Buckley boys do." Hey, even if you don't teach fourth grade, you'll love this book if you've ever had a sister, a brother, a grandma or (heaven forbid) raised chickens! "
Have fun with this book!!! Go GET IT!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to get this book and read it to Hunter or my loving sister could lend me her copy if she has it.

    ReplyDelete